Sunday, March 28, 2010

What I learnt from Earth Hour

It was Earth Hour yesterday/last night. For an hour, from 8:30 to 9:30 pm, people across India(and at different times, across the globe)were supposed to switch off their lights as a symbol of solidarity and commitment towards saving the planet. We-at college-observed it too. Me and a few friends got exceptionally enthused about it. To cut a long story short, it passed well, yadda yadda. I'm a revolutionary in the making, yadda yadda. Anyway I'm here to recount stuff I learnt from the occasion.

In retrospect, there were certain things, certain behaviors that needed to be rectified.

I could've behaved more civilly with that Chinese girl.
I could've left some washroom lights on. I overreacted.
I shouldn't have been so rude to the girl who wouldn't switch off her light coz she said she was scared of the dark. I shouldn't have called her a 'wimp' and a 'baby'. It was wrong on my part, thinking she disagreed with us just to thumb her nose at our self-appointed authority; thinking that everyone is just as argumentative as I am. My bad.
I should've left out some expletives.
I shouldn't have argued about that girl with my friend.
I shouldn't have forcibly switched off the main switch from the outside of rooms where people refused to switch off their lights/fans/acs.

It was so un-democratic. I'm more of a tyrant. Power ain't safe in my hands. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment